Carpentry Contractors

Carpentry is a skilled trade in which the primary work performed is the cutting, shaping and installation of building materials during the construction of buildings, ships, timber bridges, concrete formwork, etc. Carpenters traditionally worked with natural wood and did the rougher work such as framing, but today many other materials are also used and sometimes the finer trades of cabinetmaking and furniture building are considered carpentry. Carpentry in the United States is almost always done by men. With 98.5% of carpenters being male, it was the fourth most male-dominated occupation in the country in 1999, and there were about 1.5 million positions in 2006.

Carpenters are usually the first tradesmen on a job and the last to leave. Carpenters normally framed post-and-beam buildings until the end of the 19th century; now this old fashioned carpentry is called timber framing. Carpenters learn this trade by being employed through an apprenticeship training—normally 4 years—and qualify by successfully completing that country’s competence test in places such as the UK,USA and South Africa. It is also common that the skill can be learned by gaining work experience other than a formal training program, which may be the case in many places.

Carpentry has many classes of specialty. For example, finish carpenter, trim carpenter, cabinet maker, shipwright, cooper, scenic, framing, timber framer, log builder, formwork, restoration, conservation and more.

When Hiring a Carpentry Contractor

Some suggested best practices when hiring an Access Flooring Contractor are:

  1. Check a Contractors license. Our site has a list of State Contractor license boards (also be sure that is a contractor states they are exempt to verify with “the State” he is performing the workwithin) Link to State License Boards
  2. Receive a written proposal
  3. Require to be named as “Additional Insured(s)” on General Liability, Business/Commercial Auto and Workers Compensation*

    Framing Contractor


  4. Ask for references
  5. Check for complaints
  6. For Municipalities and other larger project ask you legal Adviser or Insurance Broker about a bid & performance bond and maintenance bonds.

* See Insurance Page for more information. Note the insurance information provided is not legal or tax advice. For legal or tax advice consult with an attorney or tax advisor. Also, very important, the insurance information provided is for ‘general information’ purposes and is not intended to cover each States Insurance laws or YOUR particular construction project.

For precise information regarding your project consult with your professional insurance agent or broker. Not all insurance agents and brokers specialize in contractor insurance.  For advise on insurance feel free to lookup and insurance agent or broker on this site.  Link to Insurance Agents, Brokers and Companies