Asbestos Abatement Contractors
Asbestos Abatement Contractors remove asbestos. There are many buildings that contain asbestos, which was used in spray-applied flame retardant, thermal system insulation, and in a variety of other materials.
Asbestos was sometimes “flocked” above false ceilings, inside technical ducts, and in many other small spaces where firefighters would have difficulty gaining access. Structural components like asbestos panels were also used. In residences, asbestos was often a component of a type of flocked acoustic ceiling called popcorn ceiling or “cottage cheese ceiling”, until its production was banned in the US in 1978.
However, the ban allowed installers to use up remaining stocks, so houses built as late as 1986 could still have asbestos in their acoustic ceilings. The only way to be sure is to remove a sample and have it tested by a competent laborator
When Hiring an Asbestos Abatement Contractor
Some suggested best practices when hiring an Acoustical Contractors are:
- Check a Contractors license. Our site has a list of State Contractor license boards (also be sure that is a contractor states they are exempt to verify with “the State” he is performing the workwithin) Link to State License Boards
- Receive a written proposal
- Require to be named as “Additional Insured(s)” on General Liability, Business/Commercial Auto, Workers Compensation and Pollution/Environmental Liability Insurance*
- Ask for references
- Check for complaints
- For Municipalities and other larger project ask you legal Adviser or Insurance Broker about a bid & performance bond and maintenance bonds.
* See Insurance Page for more information. Note the insurance information provided is not legal or tax advice. For legal or tax advice consult with an attorney or tax advisor. Also, very important, the insurance information provided is for ‘general information’ purposes and is not intended to cover each States Insurance laws or YOUR particular construction project.
For precise information regarding your project consult with your professional insurance agent or broker. Not all insurance agents and brokers specialize in contractor insurance. For advise on insurance feel free to lookup and insurance agent or broker on this site. Link to Insurance Agents, Brokers and Companies